HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 11 February 2006
Ryman League, Premier Division

AFC Wimbledon    1 - 2    Margate
Martin Carthy (26)
  (16) Danny Hockton
(49) Danny Hockton
 Andy Little 1 Darren Behcet ( 83) 
 Michael Woolner 2 Greg Oates 
 Dave Sargent 3 Ian Hilaire 
 Chris Gell 4 Bill Edwards ( 89) 
 Steve Butler 5 Robin Trott 
 Antony Howard 6 James Donovan 
 Robert Ursell 7 Lawrence Yiga 
 Martin Carthy 8 Pat Gradley (sub 66) 
(sub 54)  Richard Butler 9 Bertie Brayley (sub 90) 
 Liam George 10 Danny Hockton 
 Dean Brennan 11 Dean Standen (sub 44) 
 Wayne Finnie 12 Osman Sesay 
 Danny Wheeler 13 Anthony Allman (sub 44) 
 Mark King 14 Tom Ziepe 
 Michael Harvey 15 John Keister (sub 66) ( 90) 
(sub 54)  Dwayne Plummer 16 Daniel Demoah (sub 90) 

Match report

A disappointing Wimbledon performance saw 3 points dropped in the chase for the play-offs. A hard-working Margate side inspired by Danny Hockton secured the 3 points and weakened Wimbledon?s play-off hopes.

Wimbledon lined up in a familiar 4-4-2 formation. Rob Ursell returned from international duty and new signing Martin Carthy started in central midfield.

AFC Wimbledon attacked from the start and within 3 minutes had their first chance. Liam George scampered away from the defence but from a narrow angle hooked his shot over the bar. Further pressure followed and Wimbledon won the first two corners of the match in quick succession. New signing Martin Carthy almost scored a debut goal when his header was tipped away. Trying to gain an early lead Wimbledon continued to attack and the early goal almost came from a corner that resulted in a full goalmouth scramble.

Heads up.However, against the run of play it was Margate that took the lead with their first attack. A run down the left wing culminated in a pin-point cross that Danny Hockton nodded home. However Wimbledon were soon back on level terms, Richard Butler got behind the defence and looped his shot over the keeper, Martin Carthy sneaked in to head the goal-bound shot over the line. The Wimbledon pressure continued and the lead was almost Wimbledon?s just before the half-hour mark as Howard failed to connect with a free-kick at the far post. Two minutes later the Margate goal was threatened again as a long-range effort from Brennan was dropped at the feet of Liam George, the former Luton mans goal-bound effort was blocked by Behcet. The half finished with a flourish as Andy Little was called into action. Danny Hockton raced onto a through-ball but his goal-bound effort was expertly tipped wide by Andy Little.

The referee blew the half-time whistle at the end of an entertaining half where some Wimbledon fans may feel that they deserved more than the score-line suggests.

After a cagey opening Margate had the first chance of the second half. Danny Hockton found himself through on goal again and he made no mistake firing into the top corner. Just when Wimbledon needed goals a major blow was felt as top scorer Richard Butler limped off injured to be replaced by Dwayne Plummer. Wimbledon attacked trying to get back into the game, but to no avail. Liam George was caught offside twice and just past the hour mark a Dean Brennan cut-back was hit goal-wards by Plummer only to be blocked by the Margate centre-back. Martin Carthy did take the ball round the keeper only to be called back for offside. Wimbledon continued to pressure the Margate goal but it was beginning to look like it wasn't Wimledon?s day. Carthy had another chance to score his second but blazed over from 6 yards.

In an attempt to speed up the game-time referee Stephen Cook finally gave a yellow card to Margate goalkeeper Behcet for time-wasting. Even some Ursell wizardry couldn't get the break-through, Rob took it past two defenders and his cross was headed straight at the keeper by Carthy. Wimbledon, however, were given hope when Bill Edwards saw Red for a professional foul. Wimbledon mustered up the energy for one last chance but Ursell?s volley cannoned off the crossbar.

A disappointing result in all respects and Wimbledon are left staring another season in the Ryman Premier in the face.

Next Match >>