HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 27 March 2004
Combined Counties League Premier Division

Southall    0 - 4    AFC Wimbledon
    (21) Kevin Cooper
(27) Gavin Bolger
(70) Jamie Taylor
(90) Lewis Taylor
 Ali Koro Samba 1 Ross Standen 
 Alan Johnson 2 Steve Gibson 
(sub 70) ( 18)  Justin Roach 3 Darren Dobinson 
 Chris Barrett 4 Jamie Angell 
 Keiron Chambers 5 Matt Everard 
 Marvin Rufus 6 Andy Sullivan ( 45) 
  7 Seb Favata 
 Marvin Elliott 8 Gavin Bolger 
 Jerry Moses 9 Jamie Taylor (sub 83) 
 Andre Robinson 10 Kevin Cooper (sub 67) 
(sub 70)  Alpha Bangura 11 Ryan Gray (sub 73) 
(sub 70)  John Edwards 12 Jones Bamfo (sub 67) 
 Ryan DeCosta 14 Paul Quinn 
 Daniel Mascoll 15 Lewis Taylor (sub 83) 
(sub 70)  Troy Bantleman 16 George Snee (sub 73) 
 Lucas Joseph 17  

Match report

Southall 0 - AFC Wimbledon 4

WITH several players sidelined, Wimbledon produced an excellent performance to outpass and outplay third-placed Southall for a comfortable and impressive victory.

Jamie Taylor and Kevin Cooper sparkled in attack, with Seb Favata and Gavin Bolger working tirelessly behind them.

Taylor had the ball in the net on eight minutes, but an offside flag cut short his celebrations. He then set Gavin Bolger away, but the unconventional Samba raced out to save. At the other end, the linesman's flag intervened when O'Sullivan threatened.

A terrible late lunge on Ryan Gray went unpunished because the referee had already turned away, before Justin Roach found his way into the book for the next foul.

On 21 minutes, Cooper created the opening goal, if not from nothing, then at least from not very much. Collecting a Dobinson cross, he found his path blocked, but jinked and twisted before curling a low shot past the defender and inside the far post for 1-0.

Five minutes later, he then turned provider for the second, tee-ing up Bolger on the edge of the area, who calmly sidefooted home for 2-0.

2-0 up before the half-hour mark, the Dons relaxed and began to play some very impressive football. Everard headed over from a corner, Seb Favata saw a fizzing drive tipped over by Samba and Taylor headed at the keeper, as the score stayed at 2-0 at half-time.

In the second half, Steve Gibson led the charge with some marauding runs. One dangerous cross was nodded behind for the first of two corners, so the tannoy announcer took the opportunity to announce the raffle results.

With 20 minutes remaining, Jones Bamfo replaced Cooper and was immediately in the thick of the action, setting Gray racing away and trying to collect his cross. It fell to Taylor, but he snatched at a close range effort and drove wide when it seemed easier to score. But one minute later, the ex-Aldershot man netted his maiden goal, taking the ball from Steve Gibson and calmly picking his spot with a low shot from outside the area.

Bamfo then exchanged a one-two with Taylor, but hit the side-netting. After that, he ran on to a looped ball, comfortably reached it ahead of Samba, touched it past him and was unceremoniously poleaxed by the onrushing Southall goalkeeper, but the referee ruled that no foul had occurred.

At the other end, substitute Edwards could only scuff at shot at Standen when free in the area. Lewis Taylor replaced Jamie Taylor and took up an unfamiliar position up front as the game drew to a close. He spurned one glorious chance, cutting inside from inside-left but blazing over, before latching on to a through ball, outpacing his marker, steadying himself and calmly siding the ball under Samba for 4-0 and his first ever Dons goal.

Against one of the best sides in the league, the Dons once more produced a polished performance and, as the fans enjoyed another excellent curry, the players ensured the recipe for league success was nearly complete.

Next Match >>