HomeNewsSquadThe ClubMatchesTicketsCommercialFeaturesCommunity Football SchemeDons Trust
Fixtures Results ReportsLeague TableAway GroundsThe LeagueLeague FixturesArchiveVenuesGalleries
This is the old official AFC Wimbledon website, preserved for posterity.
For the current official site click www.afcwimbledon.co.uk
Saturday 03 March 2012
Npower League 2

Hereford United    2 - 1    AFC Wimbledon
Lyle Taylor (18)
Tom Barkhuizen (34)
  (68) Jack Midson
 David Cornell 1 Seb Brown 
 Ben Purkiss 2 Samuel Hatton 
 Michael Townsend 3 Chris Bush 
 Rob Purdie 4 Sammy Moore 
 Delroy Facey 5 Mat Mitchel-King 
 Kenny Lunt 6 Jamie Stuart 
 Simon Clist 7 Billy Knott (sub 62) 
(sub 62)  Tom Barkhuizen 8 George Moncur (sub 79) 
 Byron Anthony 9 Jack Midson 
(sub 79)  Lyle Taylor 10 Byron Harrison (sub 62) 
 Will Evans 11 Christian Jolley 
(sub 79)  Danny Williams 12 Callum McNaughton 
 Adam Bartlett 13 Jack Turner 
 Joe Colbeck 14 Rashid Yussuff (sub 62) 
 Nathan Elder 15 Jason Euell (sub 62) 
(sub 62)  Sam Clucas 16 Luke Moore (sub 79) 

Match report

There was no late fightback from Wimbledon today as they paid the price for a poor defensive performance in the first-half.

Wimbledon found themselves 2-0 down at the break and this time a two-goal deficit proved beyond them as they slipped to a damaging defeat that made it six matches without a win.

Terry Brown made two changes to the side that started against Crewe Alexandra with Byron Harrison and Christian Jolley restored to the Dons line-up in place of Jason Euell and Rashid Yussuff.

Strugglers Hereford started the match like a team low on confidence and Wimbledon so nearly took advantage in the third minute when Jack Midson set-up Billy Knott and his fine volley was tipped over by home goalkeeper David Cornell. In a first 15 minutes that saw the Dons camped in the Hereford half, a 25-yard Sam Hatton free-kick had to be palmed away by Cornell. However, the visitors went behind against the run of play in the 18th minute and it was all too easy from a Wimbledon perspective. Hereford full-back Ben Purkiss was allowed space down the right side and his delivery was smashed home emphatically at the near post by Lyle Taylor.

The Dons recovered their composure though and they came close in the 25th minute when Knott sent over a teasing cross from a corner that found Midson, but he was unable to direct his header on target. But Wimbledon were hit with another sucker punch in the 34th minute when a through ball from Rob Purdie opened them up on the right flank again and Taylor turned provider with a cross that Tom Barkhuizen finished off with ease. Midson almost halved the deficit when he latched onto a Jolley flick and his shot struck the outside of a post. They almost got one back in fortuitous circumstances when Jamie Stuartís hopeful long punt was punched by Purnell against Harrison, but the ball just looped over the crossbar.

Wimbledon started the second-half on the front foot, but there was a lack of cutting edge and a George Moncur shot straight at Cornell was the best they could muster during a dominant spell of pressure. Terry Brown made a double substitution to try and spark the Dons into action with Rashid Yussuff and Jason Euell replacing Billy Knott and Byron Harrison respectively. That paid off for the visitors in the 67th minute when Yussuff won a corner that was swung in by Sammy Moore and Midson rose highest to deliver a header that just crossed the line.

But with Wimbledon failing to build on that lifeline, there was a welcome return to action for Luke Moore 11 minutes from time as was sent into the fray in place of George Moncur. But Wimbledon became increasingly desperate in their search for an equaliser as they started to rely too much on long throws from Chris Bush and Sam Hatton. And Hereford held on to leave the Dons nervously looking over their shoulders at the relegation zone.

Next Match >>